Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Assignment #3

1. Explain what “to give an argument” means in this book.

This book states that "that to give an argument is to a set of reasons in support of a conclusion." The book is trying to make the point that an argument is not negative as many people often think. Arguments are not just verbal ffist fights and yelling. They can constructive and used to reach a conclusion.



2. What are the reasons Weston gives in support of his claim, “arguments are essential”?

Weston says that arguments are essential to find out which side of arguments have better views. He says that," not all arguments are equal, some are weaker than others. We need arguments to find which side has stronger premises.



3. Explain why many students tend to “write an essay, but not an argument”.
Most students tend to write an essay instead of argument because they do not actually understand what an argumment is. They only write elaborate statements but do not offer anything to support them. Also through high school the oonly thing they had to learn was facts. They did not have to learn anything that wasnt certain. Now they are being challenged in a new way and are not completely prepared.


4. Construct two short arguments (one "for" and one "against") as modeled in the Week 3 Assignment section in Blackboard. Put each one in "elements form".

Arguable Issue: Whether or not fast food is good for society

Conclusion : Fast food is not good for society

Premises:

(1) Fast food is leading to obesity

(2) It causes heart problems

(3) Runs small resturants out of buisness

Arguable Issue: Whether fast food is good for society or not.

Conclusion: Fast food is good for society

Premises:

(1) It provides a way for people to eat cheaply

(2) It creates jobs

(3) Its fast and non time consuming

5. Review the seven rules in chapter one. Briefly discuss how your argument demonstrates that each rule was applied, in the construction of your arguments above.

My argument uses wach of these rules. I my conclusion and premise are both well defined and my argument is an a natural order.My premises are also well proven facts and they contain now emotionaly loaded words. My premises are not vague and use consitant terms that dont change in meaning.

6. Review the three rules in the appendix named, “Definitions”. In your own words, discuss how you took these rules into consideration as you constructed your arguments.

My arguments follow all the definition rules. My words have clear definitions and are supported by facts. Using the word good might be kind of vague but I think is backed up by premises. And my case on words like healthy are clear and cannot be contested.
7. Good posts demonstrate:
Sincere reflection, effort, and analysis

Answers that are substantial (at least one large paragraph each)

Consistent mention, citation, and integration of the assigned readings (explained in YOUR own words, though)
Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation

Correctly titled posts!
How many points do you honestly feel your post this week deserves? Justify your answer.

Well, I met all the requirements, but also I read the chapter and had consistent quotations. I tried my best on grammer. I tried my best to answer my questions the best I could. My argument was relavent to what is going on today and I put it in the correct form, so I think I should get full credits.

1 comment:

  1. J-

    Nice work, interesting argument--which one is the best, in your opinion? Why?

    Also, how would those first couple of answers look if they were written 100% in your own original writing? :) KJP

    ReplyDelete